Scraping & Metadata
Scraping is used for downloading metadata and media files (images, videos, maps, pad-to-key settings and manuals) for games in your collection.
Retrobat supports 4 scraping services:
- Game information (title, year, number of players, description...)
- Thumb (box)
- Marquee / Wheel
- Image (title screen or in-game screenshot)
- Box backside
- Pad-to-key settings
Before running the scraper you can:
- Select the scraper to use
- Limit the scraper to only games missing all medias or games missing any media
- Ignore games scraped recently
- Include/exclude systems
Additionaly, each scraper has its own settings.
Example of available settings for ScreenScraper
From here you can select which data to scrape, but also define:
- What image to use as "image" file
- What image to use as "thumb" image
- What image to use as logo (marquee or wheel)
The Scraper settings screen is also where you can enter your credentials for ScreenScaper service.
All scraped medias will be stored in the rom folder.
Example of media folders
You can also decide to use existing images and videos that are already stored on your computer, or media that you have created on your own. To do so, you have to :
- rename the media files exactly like the game file,
- add the naming extension specific to the media type:
- name_of_game-thumb for the image of the box art,
- name_of_game-image for the image of the game,
- name_of_game-marquee for the image of the game logo,
- name_of_game-video.mp4 for the game video.
- place the media files in the "images" folders for images and "videos" folder for videos
From there you can:
- Update Game information (name, description, rating, release date, developer, publisher, family, genres, arcade system, number of players, languages and region)
- Attach different media files
- Add game to favorites
- Hide game